On October 17th, Kevin Eikenberry presented a very motivational and inspiring all day seminar on Remarkable Leadership, also the title of his book. I thought I would share a few of the thoughts that I walked away with in hopes that others would add to the list.
- Leadership is complex…..let that soak in for a minute. Kevin discussed some work his group did with NASA and asking a rocket scientist which was more complex---rocket science or leadership. The rocket scientist responded simply, leadership.
- We manage things and lead people
- Leadership is, complex, action (leadership is a verb, it is something we do), a responsibility (it’s a focus on others) and an opportunity
- Leadership is not, management, a job title, a power grab or a birth right
- Remarkable leaders are continual learners; you have to invest in yourself. Continual learners are curious, they ask lots of questions, learn from their experiences and reflect on them, they work outside of their comfort zone
- Remarkable leaders champion change
- The ABC’s of coaching---accountability, belief (if you don’t believe in someone you shouldn’t be coaching them) and conversation (a coach shouldn’t tell you what to do)
As I sit here reflecting on the day I could just go on and on. I walked away reflecting on new ways of looking at things, learning new things to try and reinforcing some of the things I already knew.
From the feedback, questions and responses received I know the day was a success. Four companies have been in contact to ask for Kevin’s contact information. His message was powerful enough they want to bring him in-house, to invest in continual learning.
Please add your take-aways from the day!
Check out our facebook page for pictures from the day……it was a good one. While you are there....like our facebook page to see what else is going on in the chapter.